Specialized Medical Supplies provide individuals with the ability to interact more independently with their environment. These items are specified in the Individual Support Plan.
The need for SMS services must be related to the individual disability; individuals receiving specialized services only must have a specific goal relative to the supplies and be documented in a DBHDD Regional Office approved Individual Service Plan.
Once approved for the comp waiver services our nurse will review your medical background accessing hospital records, medical diagnosis and current needs to determine the type, and quantify of specialized supplies needed on a regular basis.
We will develop the narrative and justification for needing the supplies along with a budget. After receiving approval from DBHDD we will be responsible for ordering the required supplies each month.
Examples of medical supplies covered include:
- Nutritional supplements, such as Ensure, Isomil, and Boost; for individuals under 21 years of age covered only if State Plan Coverage is exhausted.
- Special clothing, adaptive clothing and clothing designed specifically for individuals with disabilities.
- Diapers, bed wetting protective chucks, and other incontinence supplies.
- Infection control supplies such as non-sterile gloves, aprons, masks, gowns.
- Supplies necessary for the proper functioning of approved devices.
- Infection control supplies required in higher quantity or more frequently for an individual.
The same approval process will be used to determine what specialized medical equipment is required.
Specialized Medical Equipment
Special Medical Equipment includes devices or controls specified in an Individual Service plan that provide ease of use for an individual to perform activities of daily living as well as assist an individual to interact more independently with their environment.
The need for Specialized Medical Equipment must be related to the individual’s disability:
- Individuals receiving specialized services only must have a specific goal relative to the equipment and that is included in the Individual Service Plan that is approved by the Regional Office
- Medical necessity for Specialized Medical Equipment services must be documented through an order by a Georgia Licensed Physician.
Examples of medical equipment covered includes:
- Purchase of equipment or the lease of equipment when cost effective.
- Equipment specified in the Individual Service Plan, which enables individuals to increase their abilities to perform activities of daily living and to interact more independently with their environment.
- Costs of assessment or training needed to assist individuals with use of covered devices. 4. Computers necessary for operating devices necessary to perform activities of daily living.
- Computers necessary for operating devices necessary to perform activities of daily living.
- Customizing a device to meet a covered individual’s needs.
- Replacement or repair of equipment is covered in cases of special circumstances.